Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Weight check




So, the top pictures I've been meaning to upload for all of the Chisholm folks. Cade got an official Blue Streak sweatshirt from the Petrangelo's and he can now wear it proudly (because he's finally big enough :) )
The other pictures are from tonight when Cade was talking to his lion. Today, I also caught him in his crib smiling at the wall. When I told Sean, he said that God or angels must be talking to him. I would like to think that his great grand parents are coming down to check on him and maybe telling him funny stories about his mommy when she was a baby.
Today, we had a drs appt for a weight check and to get a Synagis shot. Synagis is a shot that provides antibodies that prevent RSV. RSV is especially dangerous for preemies because their lungs aren't fully developed. Here's more info: http://www.synagis.com/how-synagis-works.aspx I guess that the insurance company was questioning Cade's need for the shot and the dr wrote them a nasty letter saying basically "this child was born 15 weeks early, came home on O2 and had chronic lung disease and has a VP shunt. Please tell me who in this country has a greater need. I'm sure you won't be able to come up with many." Yeah for our doc! I think the shot is rather expensive and has to be given once a month throughout RSV season which I think goes through April. So, that means 6 shots. Poor Cade because shots are so traumatic but it's so much better than ending up in the hospital this winter. Cade was also traumatized by a blood draw to check his hemoglobin. But, the good news is his level was 13.1 which is great (normal range 11-13 for kids) so we can discontinue his iron supplements. Hopefully, that will help his digestive system. And, finally his weight...... he's up to 12 1/2 lbs. We were actually thinking that he would be a bit heavier since he was gaining about a pound every 2 weeks. But, on the chart that I have for preemie boys born less than 1500 grams, he's about at the 75th percentile for 2 1/2 months adjusted age and 50th percentile on the standard growth chart for boys. We go in for his 6 month check up on the 22nd and he'll get his vaccinations and we'll talk about taking him off of the Neosure (preemie) formula and onto standard formula. I'm not convinced that's the right thing to do but we'll see if I can convince the doctor. He did, however, give us 4 cans of Neosure which saves us about $60. I guess I should have been asking for samples at all of our appts!

1 comment:

nancy_scraps said...

I had to comment.
Cigna has driven me mad at least once this year.
It took them over 3 months to approve a medication my daughter had been on for over 5 years, for a condition that this medication is standard operating procedure.
Luckily the pharmacy company gave us gap coverage (free drugs) during the time we were all "talking" to Cigna about this.
It's bad when you think the pharmacy company is better than the insurance company.
And yeah, I WANT to give my daughter an injection every day. I am certainly trying to swindle insurance so that I can! Argh. Wish my doc had been more forceful like your... I guess we had a bit more time on our hands...
I love seeing Cade's darling pictures. Are you sure he's talking to the lion? He looks like he is afraid of it!