Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Life Turned Upside Down...

Sean here.

Where to begin?

Yesterday, after getting out of the shower, I walked upstairs, wearing nothing more than a smile and a pair of slippers, to find Jill on her cell phone. She was on the phone with someone, which was odd but not out of the realm of possibility, and was providing them with information. While she talking, she was guiding me by the shoulder to what I thought was going to be some sort of uber cute scene with the puppies. To my surprise, I was guided to Jill's bathroom. In the toilet was a bit of bloody mucus and toilet paper.

I thought to myself that this, although alarming and worthy of further investigation, was going to be a classic case of "spotting". Jill got off the phone with the fine folks at Diamond Women's Center who wanted to see her for at 10:45 ultrasound. I called into the sick line at work to let them know that Jill was having some issues and that I wouldn't be in. Jill retired to the couch for some rest. From there I SSLed into work to download more drivers for the next rev of the Vista image, feeling safe all would turn out fine during the ultrasound.

We left the house at about 10:30 and arrived just on time. After a short wait in line we were checked in. A few minutes after that, Jill was on the ultrasound table. Conversation with the technician was somewhat curt. But, all in all, the conversation flowed well which Jill and I took to be a good sign. We were then directed back out into the waiting to wait and see Dr. Chow who was going to be our Dr. for the moment because Dr. Angelats was on vacation.

After what seemed to be an eternity, the good Dr. arrived and wanted to see Jill naked (join the crowd). After a very brief pelvic exam, we were told that Jill's water may have broken and that we need to go to the hospital, NOW.

Since my direction sense stinks, I asked the Dr. how do I get there from here. He was kind enough to draw a rough map, which I nabbed, and we were off. Driving to the hospital was like driving through a dream with tunnel vision. Jill received a call from Dr. Chow. When I asked what they talked about, she said, something like "Not, good things." I later learned that she didn't want me freaking out more than I already was.

We arrived safely at the hospital and proceeded to valet parking. I think that I may have actually beeped at an old lady would couldn't fit her car in the valet parking lane even though I could have perpendicular parked a Mack truck in there. I felt bad about getting upset with her. But, I just needed to get Jill to "Station 65" at Abbot Northwestern ASAP.

Once on the 6TH floor, we had to check in which was just about as frustrating as that old lady's park job. Finally though, Jill got a room.

Once in the room, we were greeted with some of the most friendly staff one could wish to encounter. Everyone is so nice.

The first order of business was to check and see if Jill's water had indeed broken due to the fact that broken water at this stage in the game is extremely bad. The test took 10 minutes to complete. Thank God, it turned out that Jill's water had not broken. Next they tested her for strep, which I assume turned out negative as well.

Somewhere in there, we met with a Dr. who said he met with Dr. Wagner the parinatologist on duty. The Dr. spoke fast, leaving little room for questions. But, he was very informative. He explained that Jill had what was commonly known as an incompetent cervix. And that the best course of action would be to "put her on her head" and perform a cervical cerclage.

Given that the doctors both agreed that the cerclage was the best course of action, we agreed to the procedure. Jill was given a super cute blue hat. We kissed. And, we told each other that we loved each other.

After what seemed to be a life time of pacing about the halls, I saw Dr. Wagner. Did I mention that he was extremely kind and could probably out stitch the old lace makers of Burano, Italy? Anyhow, he informed me that Jill had been dilated to 5-6 cm but, managed to, thankfully, get two cerclages in.

So, now that Jill's cervix has been sewn shut, what happens next?

Hopefully, nothing.

In the very best case scenario, Jill is in the hospital until the baby is full term with no early labor or further complications of any sort. Basically though, we are here until the baby is born. Each day that the baby is not born and Jill is stable is a blessing.

At this point, Jill is doing very well. Reg, Linda, and Marcy all showed up today which made Jill happy. Heather called too. My dad, brother, and sister in law have all called, wishing us the best in this unfortunate situation. Many of my co-works have let me know, "if we need anything just ask". Heck, co-workers that I didn't know prayed, are sending their thoughts and prayers. :) Linda got Jill on the church's prayer chain. In short, everyone has been great.

On the medical front, any utereran irritability/cramping/contractions seem to have stopped. Jill is off of the IV liquids and only uses the IV in her hand for antibiotics. Her back is a bit sore from being on it all of the time, from being turned upside down for the circlage, and from the spinal she had to endure. She has an appetite and can eat what she likes (you order food like room service here). She is off of the catheter, and the pulse/ox machine and is at this moment 11:30 PM finally, catching some needed ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzz.

With love to any that read this,


Sean

No comments: