Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Sorry For The Delay...Been Busy

I am going to try to keep this short, sloppy, and, as a result, it will be short on both feelings and details. But, it will be mostly good news. :)

So, after we got our good news on Cade, I went home to let out the dogs and ended up crashing for a few hours. Then I went back to the hospital just in time to find Jill getting prepped for her picc line. Long story short, they ended up putting Jill through a bunch of pain, and poked two extra holes in her upper arm and still failed to get the line in. Jill said she had enough and would live with an IV at home.

That night I slept at home so I wouldn't have to get up at the butt crack of dawn to let the dogs out. I ended up sleeping in due to my phone being dead.

By the time that I got back to the hospital, Jill had her wound vac in place and was getting ready to be discharged. We ended up getting out of there at about 3:00 p.m. From there, drove to Children's to go see Cade. Me, being the monster that I am, didn't bother asking Jill if she needed a wheelchair to get to the room. The relatively short walk really tuckered her out.

When we got to see Cade, his little isolette was covered. That means that his biliruben levels were low enough to take away his bililight which is good news. That also means that he didn't need his cool goggles anymore which allowed his head skin to look more normal. He was especially cute and I didn't have the camera. *sigh*

Marie, was taking care of him as usual. She told us even more good news. Cade was off of blood pressure regulator, dopamine. Then, she asked us if we wanted to hold him. Jill and I looked at each other with the "I don't think that I am qualified to hold such a frail little thing" look. But, we were assured that all was going to be OK by Marie.

Jill held him first, and seeing them together brought a tear to my eye. After a bit, I got to hold him. I could have sat there for a very long time. Eventually, Jill had to use the bathroom and that was Marie's queue to put Cade away and for us to exit stage left.

I found Jill a chair, got her to the bathroom, and got her home safely. Once there, Jill got a temp of 102. We called the Dr. on the downside of the spike. She said, if it happens again, we need to come back in. That did not make Jill happy. Thankfully, she did not spike another temp. We went to bed early and slept well. It was really nice to be able to be close to my wife again. I missed the closeness.

We woke up today, had some breakfast, and spent most of our time with the home health care nurse. Jill and I are now able administer IV medication to an existing peripheral IV (it isn't rocket surgery). Also, Jill's negative pressure wound dressings have been changed.

Now, were are on to putting crap away, opening mail, and coming up with a list of bureaucratic BS that has to be done as a result of this fiasco.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, Sean, and Cade-

I have made the effort to keep updated with your blog but hadn't yet made the effort to send you well wishes. Congrats on the birth of your adorable baby boy. I am glad to hear that things are improving in the health of both Cade and Jill. I love you all and you are all in my thoughts and prayers!

~Traci

Patty said...

You are forgiven for the delay! So glad to hear all the great news! If you need help or have questions with the work bureaucrats give me a call and I will do whatever I can.
Love
Patty

Bekki said...

Yea for good news! Jill, I'm so happy you're finally at home. And what a wonderful experience holding Cade, he sounds like a real trooper; a tough guy! Let me know if you need anything. We all love and miss you here :D

-Bekki

Jenn said...

Welcome home Jill! Brendan, Tegan and I are so glad that you're well enough to go home and be with Sean. You are back where you belong. We will continue to pray that both you and Cade continue to grow healthier and stronger. Take care and get well!!!