Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I'm back

Hi everyone. I'm finally back to feeling almost like myself. I still have visits from the home health care nurses to get my IV started and changed out my wound dressings and most days I have to take a nap in the afternoon but at least I'm feeling better. My lab results are encouraging. It seems like my body (along with alot of antibiotics) have kicked the bacteria out of my blood. I see the infection doctor on Friday to find out the next step. It's amazing how much you can learn in such a short time. I never thought that I would be administering my own IV antibiotics on a daily basis but now it's really easy. Just a little boring watching the drip for 45 minutes.

Sean and I have also learned alot about preemie babies in the last 2 weeks. Cade is a fighter and he hasn't had it easy. Yesterday, we were told that he would have to have another surgery. This one was brain surgery. He needed drainage tubes and a reservoir placed under his scalp to relieve the pressure in the ventricles of his brain. Of course, we agreed to the surgery. What do you say when the neurosurgeon says that it's necessary? So, Cade had his second major surgery yesterday at 6:00. I've only had 4 surgeries in my whole life and 2 were in the last month. We made it to the hospital around 7:30 and he was already back to his room and looking really good. Of course, he has a big bandage on his head and was still drugged up but he looked so peaceful. It was great to see him calm since the last few times we had seen him he was really agitated. The reservoir will stay in until he is big enough to get a shunt to drain the excess fluid. I guess he needs to be 2 kg before that surgery can take place. Now, he is 1 kg! That was great news because he is now over his birth weight. He continues with his NG feedings and had gained 30 g within a couple of days. All in all, he's doing amazingly well.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for all the support, prayers and well wishes. It really means alot to all of us. Hopefully, soon I will feel up to having visitors. But, for now my days are spent with the nurses and taking naps.

Love to all,
Jill

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill,
Seeing your post was the highlight of my day-SO good to hear from you! Cade is an amazing little boy-I can't wait to meet him! I'm glad that you are feeling stronger each day. Do you have a home email so that you can rejoin our "girls" email chain? We've missed you:)
Love, Heather

Anonymous said...

Jill & Sean,

What a tough rollercoaster ride you've been on. Jill, I hope you're finally out of the woods and on the road to recovery. Congratulations on the arrival of Cade! I hope he's resting & recovering from his latest surgery. I wish all of you good health, fast recovery and happiness with your growing family.