Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Mother's Day

Happy Mother's Day to all. My first was very low key. We celebrated with my mom yesterday so today it was just Sean, Cade and I. But, first I should update what's up with Cade. On Thursday we got a call that he had pulled out his ventilator tube. Apparently our son had decided that he just couldn't handle that tube anymore. He spent alot of time tugging on it but we never figured he could actually pull it out. Maybe he just dislodged it? We aren't sure if we got the straight story but now he no longer is intubated. Instead, he is on a CPAP machine to make sure he doesn't stop breathing. He was struggling on Thursday but has gotten better everyday. We saw Dr. Bonnie today and she said he was doing really well but still needs the CPAP. (The next step will be a steady flow of oxygen with the prongs in his nose) I guess today he hadn't had any "spells" (he didn't stop breathing). Today, when we got there, he was on his back and very squirmy. He loves to kick his feet around and stretch. But, his oxygen levels aren't as high on his back. So, after we spent an hour or more trying to calm him down, his nurse flipped him on his belly and he calmed down instantly. We also got to change our first poopy diaper today. Sean and I tag teamed it and got it done without causing Cade too much distress. Another cool thing about today was that I got my very first card from Cade. One of the nice nurses went above and beyond and created a Mother's Day card for me with Cade's picture, footprints and handprints.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jill, Happy first Mother's Day! What a sweet nurse to "help" Cade make his very first card ;)
I was looking at his pictures earlier, and I was wondering what happened to his respirator tube!! He sure is a fighter, isn't he? What a great, encouraging sign!
I'm crossing my fingers that we can see you next weekend!
Love, Heather